Your garbage disposal is one of those things you probably never see but you use almost every day. As a result, it’s important that your garbage disposal is working properly! Unfortunately, garbage disposals can be fickle – you never know what will cause them to break. The good news is there’s an easy way to get them working again – just call Pike Plumbing! We can fix your garbage disposal in Cobb County, GA no matter what’s wrong with it. When you need garbage disposal repair in Acworth, Kennesaw or Marietta, Georgia - call Pike Plumbing!
- Use a strong flow of water while grinding items in your disposal. After turning off the disposal, keep the water on for at least 15 seconds.
- Freshen your disposal by grinding up pieces of orange or lemon peel (not the whole fruit, this can be too much for some disposals) along with ice cubes.
- Add a couple handfuls of baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar to the disposal with the unit off. After it’s done foaming, rinse it down the drain with hot water.
- Don’t grind up potato peelings, pasta or rice. The potato can form a starchy paste, pasta and rice can expand and also turn into a starchy paste – both can cling to the blades or clog the drain.
- Don’t grind glass, plastic, metal or even paper.
- Don’t grind cigarette butts.
- Don’t pour grease, oil or fat into your garbage disposal or drain. Grease will slowly accumulate and impede your garbage disposal’s grinding ability as well as clog drains.
- Don’t use hot water when grinding food waste. Hot water will cause grease to liquefy and accumulate, causing drains to clog.
- Don’t grind extremely fibrous material like corn husks, celery stalks, onion skins, and artichokes. Fibers from these can tangle and jam the garbage disposal motor and block drains.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals like bleach or drain cleaners. They can damage blades and pipes. Borax is a natural sink cleaner and sanitizer that effectively works on odor-causing mold and mildew that accumulates in garbage disposals.
If you're having issues with your garbage disposal, call the pros at Pike Plumbing! (770) 424-9465